Immutable Types

Sven Brauch svenbrauch at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 27 11:15:11 UTC 2011

Hey,

I forgot, there's also the "lite" version, which is what I'll have to
implement at least:

Every Declaration has a list of TypeHints. As soon as a type for a
Declaration can be guessed, a TypeHint is added to that declaration
which also points to the use it was created from. If the use is
deleted, the TypeHint is also deleted. If that declaration is
encountered in a subsequent pass, the list of types stored in the
TypeHints is added to the possible list of types for that declaration.
The sense of this is to track possible types for declarations over
multiple passes (currently they're just being overwritten).

That should be doable at least, shouldn't it? The advantage over the
complex solution is that it's probably easy to do and fast, and you
can simply get more accurate type guessing by doing more passes (thus
if you edit a few lines of a document you'll get very good type
guessing for free). The downside is obvious, if you have code which
contains many recursive function calls (for example, A(foo, bar) calls
B(foo, bar) which calls C(foo, bar)) you'd need many passes to guess
types accurately (3 or so passes in the example to determine the
argument types of C if you only know those of A at the beginning).

What do you think?
Bye,
Sven