DUChain support of defaulted/deleted functions again

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Mon Jun 20 17:19:03 UTC 2011

2011/6/20 Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de>:
> I disagree wholeheartedly: One of the big advantages of KDevelop for me and
> lots of other users I've spoken with on conventions and at work, is that it
> reduces the number of required compile cycles. If we can spot the error via
> our semantic analysis, we can report it ASAP and make the "compile -> darn,
> error -> fix -> recompile" superfluous.

We can detect raw errors, but KDevelop will probably never be able to
detect the extremely fine-grained errors. First of all because of the
approximations we're inherently doing, and secondly because we will
never have the manpower to tune the language-support to _exactly_
fulfil the C++ standard (just take a look at that specification ;-)

So we'll have to live with an approximation where we detect the
simplest errors, but leave the complicated errors to the compiler. The
good thing is that most errors are relatively simple, and that's why
even a simple error-reporting is very useful.

Regarding the deleted functions: The C++ support does not create any
declarations and/or uses for all these implicit functions anyway, so
tracking of "delete" seems only useful if it is possible to delete
functions that were defined _explicitly_ at some point. Reporting
errors here is nothing we can do in near future, because this would
first need us to create declarations for all of the implicit functions
that exist. This would also reduce efficiency once again, so it's
questionable whether we should even try to do it.

Greetings, David