Adding a build-dependency on flex

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Fri Jun 17 23:29:06 UTC 2011

On Saturday 18 June 2011 01:12:48 Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> I'm working on some stuff in the CMake parser which involves changes
> to the lexer. It's written in flex, and currently taken unmodified
> from the CMake project.
>
> We currently ship both the generated code (.c) and the flex source
> (.in.l) in the git repository. With current versions of flex, the
> .in.l file doesn't even work; and after fixing it, flex unsurprisingly
> generates a different .c than we have now.
>
> It's being annoying to have to manually run flex to regenerate the .c
> between changing something and running 'make'. I think it would be
> better to ship only the .l file and run flex at compile time. But this
> would mean adding a required compile-time dependency on flex to
> kdevelop. What do you think about it? Is it an acceptable dep to add?
> Or should I just continue keeping the .l and .c in sync in every
> commit?

Do you think these changes will be frequent? I/we don't like lots of
dependencies - even if they are only at compile time.

Though from my experience of working on PHP I can completely understand your
pov. As changes to the grammar are very frequent in PHP I also made the pg-qt
a compile time dependency to guard myself against forgetting to sync the
generated files.

Hence: If you think there will be multiple grammar changes in the future, I
think we should make flex a compile time dep.

bye

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de