Build and Unit Tests - Hardware Sponsor?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Jun 3 05:00:32 UTC 2011

On Thursday, June 02, 2011 07:34:49 PM Milian Wolff wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat, 02.06.2011:
> > On 02.06.11 12:55:52, Milian Wolff wrote:
> > > Hey all, greetings from the KDevelop sprint at Randa!
> > >
> > > If you are interested in what we are up to, see:
> > >
> > > http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDevelop4/Meeting2011
> > >
> > > Anyhow, back to the actual reason for this email. We want to improve
> > > the quality of our codebase by doing automated build- and unit tests.
> > > For simplicity running it all once per day would suffice already.
> > > Required for that would be hardware, some kind of server. Hence this
> > > request: Anyone has hardware to sponsor to us?
> > >
> > > Personally I only see these requirements:
> > > * shell access without root rights should suffice
> > > * admin available to install dependencies if required
> > > * ~1GB of memory for us to burn, and some common cpu
> > > note: I want to enforce a ulimit and time limit for unit tests
> > >
> > > If you want to help KDevelop and have something like this available,
> > > please get in touch with us.
> > >
> > > Furthermore if someone has any knowledge on setting up a consecutive
> > > build and test runner, share your knowledge (PovAddict?).
> >
> > Since most devs build KDevelop anyway (and should also run unit-test)
> > you could also check with Alex Neuendorf about the cdash/ctest scripts
> > he has which submits build and test info from a users machine to the
> > public cdash dashboard.
>
> The issue we/I want to solve is also to make people aware of induced API
> breakages. We want to reinforce people taking a look after "stable"¹ code,
> i.e. whenever changing something in kdevplatform make sure kdevelop builds
> (everyone does that) but people seldomly (if ever?) build php, php-docs,
> custom-buildsystem, and all those which are about to come.
>
> So here cdash/ctest is not an option. If at all it could be used together
> with a cronjob.

Why ?
The "from a users machine" ?
The idea with ctest is that on some machine(s) are cronjobs (or the equivalent
on windows) are set up which start a ctest script for a nightly build and test
once a day. This script then checks out the sources from the defined time,
builds them, runs all tests, and submits the result to a cdash dashboard.
There the results can be viewed, and cdash also sends notification emails to
everybody who committed the last dy if some things are broken.

You can do the same for continouos builds, there the difference is that the
ctest script which drives that runs basically the whole day and builds more or
less for every commit.

Let's talk about this in person :-)

Alex