Build and Unit Tests - Hardware Sponsor?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jun 2 17:11:05 UTC 2011

On 02.06.11 12:55:52, Milian Wolff wrote:
> Hey all, greetings from the KDevelop sprint at Randa!
>
> If you are interested in what we are up to, see:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDevelop4/Meeting2011
>
> Anyhow, back to the actual reason for this email. We want to improve the
> quality of our codebase by doing automated build- and unit tests. For
> simplicity running it all once per day would suffice already. Required for
> that would be hardware, some kind of server. Hence this request: Anyone has
> hardware to sponsor to us?
>
> Personally I only see these requirements:
> * shell access without root rights should suffice
> * admin available to install dependencies if required
> * ~1GB of memory for us to burn, and some common cpu
> note: I want to enforce a ulimit and time limit for unit tests
>
> If you want to help KDevelop and have something like this available, please
> get in touch with us.
>
> Furthermore if someone has any knowledge on setting up a consecutive build and
> test runner, share your knowledge (PovAddict?).

Since most devs build KDevelop anyway (and should also run unit-test)
you could also check with Alex Neuendorf about the cdash/ctest scripts
he has which submits build and test info from a users machine to the
public cdash dashboard.

As a CI-tools I can recommend hudson, that eliminates the need to write
git-monitoring and other stuff oneself. Only downside might be that it
may not have the necessary plugin to properly understand the unit-test
result files and hence won't be able to provide tha nice over-time
report for test failures/success.