State of documentation

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Wed Jun 1 13:52:35 UTC 2011

> One general comment about the screenshots: It seems like some of your
> used headers are not found, which leads to a very reduced navigation-,
> code-completion, and highlighting functionality. You should make sure
> that the included headers are found, so that the screenshots will look
> nicer, and you will get much more functionality regarding navigation,
> code-completion, etc.

That's a valid point. And yes, I did have trouble.

As for the actual snapshots: I think for most readers, this will not be quite
as obvious as it may be for you as a developer (it wasn't to me, and I can
only count myself as a user). But if there are things that you find not just
sub-optimal but misleading, I'd be happy to update screenshots. Are there any
pictures you can point out specifically that fall into this category?

> To make sure that the headers are found, you can hover or right-click
> a red-underlined missing header, and then add manual include paths.
> (Or you can simply add a newline-separated ".kdev_include_paths" file
> at the top of your project). This, by the way, is something that could
> use some documentation too. :-)

Ah, interesting.

Before I put this into the documentation somewhere: Is there a dialog
somewhere where this could be set? While playing, I've occasionally come
across things like what you describe where you resolve a problem (a missing
path to include files, or other stuff that's listed in the "Problems" tool
view) but where there doesn't seem to be an associated dialog where one could
have done this *before* the problem even appeared, or where one could undo a
mistake. In other words, is it true that KDevelop stores information on
projects that isn't presented in an editable form in a dialog box? If so, why?

Thanks in advance for your help, and I'll be happy to put any answers into the
manual as usual :-)
 W.

Wolfgang Bangerth                email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu