include path manager: disable debug fallback based on make?

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Jul 21 23:29:33 UTC 2011

Hey all,

if I fix CMAKE_INCLUDE_CURRENT_DIR handling in the cmake plugin, then it
should return the proper include paths without triggering any warnings[¹]. So
I think we are at a point where we should discuss the further usefulness of
the fallback-on-make debug facility ("Include-path was missing in list
returned by build-manager, adding it now.").

Personally, I would like to remove the make calls alltogether for cmake
projects. The question is on whether to do this always or only in non-debug
builds? I.e. whether to always set

#define DEBUG_INCLUDE_PATHS 0

or only in

#ifndef NDEBUG
#define DEBUG_INCLUDE_PATHS 0
#else
#define DEBUG_INCLUDE_PATHS 1
#endif

? The reason is that the debugging is definitely still useful in some cases,
esp. for new include path managers like e.g. qmake. Otoh it is a considerable
runtime impact for cmake-based projects.

Note: I don't want to remove the make-based-fallback alltogether, as it is
still useful for e.g. custommake projects etc.

[¹]: also required is a check based on proper canonical paths, to fix issues
with e.g. symlinks...

good night
--
Milian Wolff