Help me with the release announcement!

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Tue Jan 25 19:45:30 UTC 2011

Aleix Pol, 25.01.2011:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> >> Hey all,
> >>
> >> I'd *really* appreciate any help with the release annoucnement for 4.2.
> >> We should push that to the dot authors tomorrow and I have other stuff
> >> to do as
> >> well.
> >>
> >> My start:
> >>
> >> http://www.kdevelop.org/mediawiki/index.php/KDevelop_4/4.2_Release_Annou
> >> ncement
> >>
> >> - note: please html-format it, as that is apparently easier for the dot
> >> authors
> >> - note: http://milianw.de/blog/kdevelop-42-beta-1-released <-- this
> >> should
> >> have more stuff about new features, as does
> >>
> >> http://www.kdevelop.org/mediawiki/index.php/KDevelop_4/4.2_Noteworthy_Ch
> >> anges
> >>
> >> bye

> > The main point of this release is to be able to keep up with kdelibs/kate
> > break. I'm not sure we need such a big announcement here.
> >
> > Since I didn't introduce any new feature (that one's on me) I can't
> > really write much stuff useful for the release announcement. The big
> > features were provided by the toulouse guys that time and I think this
> > ones are really well explained already.
> >
> > Aleix
>
> BTW, if there's anything specific I can help with, please tell me.

I didn't write most of the changsets either, yet I have to do the work - or
well, anyone has to do it. It's pure marketing. And there have been *lots* of
new features in here, so it's definitely worth spending time on a proper
announcement.

And there is lots of stuff you can do with the announcement:

- take an item from the bullet list and turn it into a paragraph like I've
done for the first few parts
- add screenshots (this is marketing, after all!)
- add "thanks to ..." like I did in the announcement of beta1 to the bullet
list, esp. cmoh, dmitry and olijg need to be mentioned in this release imo, as
well as the french students.

bye
--
Milian Wolff