Feature proposal : cleanup tabs

Damien Flament contact.damienflament at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 23:48:28 UTC 2011

Hi,

> What happens, for
>  example, if you leave the IDE open for 30 minutes and do something else? Or
>  have some tabs you just accidentially click all the time but switch away
>  from then within half a second (happens often to me, at least)?

Yes, you're right.

Is there many differents ways to check that the IDE is not used :
The user don't interact with the IDE
The IDE window is not shown in foreground (hidden by others windows)
I think the second is more easy to implement.

> A tab could be
>  marked as "used" when it was viewed for more than 3 seconds or an edit was
>  performed in it (for example).
... when an edit was performed or when the user scrolls (switching to a tab to quickly read some text and re-switching
to previous tab without edit).
> [...] when the cleanup action is
>  invoked, close all tabs except the 10 (configurable) most recently used
>  ones [...]

I didn't think restricting to a number of tabs would be usefull. The objective is to clean tab bar from unused tabs. And
you can't anticipate the number of unused tabs. I would be usefull if the algorithm is not effective !

Two things to include in "outdated tabs recognition algorithm" (in my opinion, comments are welcomed) :
A tab is considered opened (time counter reset) after a short amount of time, an edit or scrolling
Tabs can't be outdated when user isn't using the IDE (time counters paused).

Thanks for your comments.
Damien Flament.

On Wednesday 12 January 2011 20:09:34 you wrote:
 Hi!

 I had that idea some time ago, too. I really like it.
 However, I think a bit more sophisticated "outdated tab recognition
 algorithm" would make this feature way more useful. What happens, for
 example, if you leave the IDE open for 30 minutes and do something else? Or
 have some tabs you just accidentially click all the time but switch away
 from then within half a second (happens often to me, at least)?
 I would instead propose something like this: Mark tabs as "used" depending
 on user activity, with ascending IDs; then, when the cleanup action is
 invoked, close all tabs except the 10 (configurable) most recently used
 ones, and do not close tabs used within the last 10 minutes. A tab could be
 marked as "used" when it was viewed for more than 3 seconds or an edit was
 performed in it (for example).
 What do you think?

 Bye,
 Sven

 P.S: I'm also a huge fan of non-dialog UIs (using notification bars or
 something instead). Don't know what you think about this, but foreground
 dialogs always annoy me. :)