Find uses/rename is being painfully slow

Esben Mose Hansen kde at mosehansen.dk
Fri Feb 18 08:45:55 UTC 2011

On Thursday 17 February 2011 16:03:48 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> The problem is (AFAIK and my duchain-info might be even more limited than
> yours) that the parsing that KDevelop does when opening a project the first
> time is not sufficient to generate the use-information. The reason that is
> not done is because its slow, very slow and not necessary all that often.
> Hence use-building is only done when necessary, which is what makes
> renaming slow.

I'd like to challenge that. Back when I was trying to work with the code, I
accidentally used the full parsing with uses, and didn't even notice. The
result might use more RAM, of course, but in this day and age I just don't
care. I'd much rather have instant uses and renames (which I use *constantly*)
than save the RAM. Perhaps an experiment could be made where uses were always
generated? Or perhaps just for files in the opened projects?

--
kind regards, Esben