misleading message when installing project

Gerhard Stengel Gerhard.Stengel at gmx.net
Sat Feb 12 09:00:39 UTC 2011

Am Samstag, 12. Februar 2011, 05:01:29 schrieb Nicolás Alvarez:

> > I'm sorry but I don't quite get your problem. Yes if you install
> > kdevelop into your $HOME/ then you may need to adjust environment
> > variables for some things to be found. I'm don't quite get which of the
> > outputs
> > above you think are misleading though.
> >
> > The message about the directories like /home/gerhard/.local/share etc.
> > are generated by a CMake macro that we don't control, but I can't see
> > anything wrong with that output either.
>
> The message is actually not printed by a CMake macro, but by the
> "/usr/bin/update-mime-database" tool during a custom CMake install
> step. The error message is printed to stdout and the list of paths to
> stderr, so it's not surprising they may lose proper order.
>
> I think this is a bug in update-mime-database.
>
> --
> Nicolas

I would have expected an order like this:

Note that '/home/gerhard/kdevelop4/share' is not in the search path
set by the XDG_DATA_HOME and XDG_DATA_DIRS
environment variables, so applications may not
be able to find it until you set them. The
directories currently searched are:
/home/gerhard/.local/share
/usr/share
/etc/opt/kde3/share
/opt/gnome/share
/opt/kde3/share

because the paths printed out is what is in $XDG_DATA_DIRS.

Anyway, it's just a trifle...

regards

Gerhard