Unstable plugins in extragear

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Feb 1 13:29:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 01.02.11 02:21:25, Aleix Pol wrote:

> > > Too bad.
> > >
> > > Even though its too late now (for now at least), whats the reason this
> > > is such a big pain? Is the problem that these plugins are being
> > > translated all of a sudden and they can't easily blacklist them? Or is
> > > there something else?
> > >
> > Yes, they translate anything that's in extragear, using the XML data
> > provided by projects.kde.org.
>
> Ok, so in theory it would be possible to have a marker in the xml data
> that a certain subproject should not be translated.
>
> > Anyway, it's not like the module location has a lot of meaning for us
> > anyway.
>
> Maybe not to you and me (though for me it does have a meaning), but
> users who are interested in which plugins there are for kdevelop will
> now again need to go hunting. In particular those that are not yet
> polished and released are important to be findable easily, not everybody
> will chime into irc channel and ask for them...
>
> And looking at the current position of those plugins, now its completely
> broken. There's no way to easily see that playground/devtools/plugins
> contains kdevelop plugins. This needs to be fixed asap.
>
> In the future I suggest to not rush such things in such a way. There's
> been hardly _any_ discussion about this here on the list.
>
> > > I'm mostly interested so that we don't fall into the same trap with the
> > > next unusual layout idea in 1 year...
> > >
> > > Andreas
> > >
> > > --
> > > Your mode of life will be changed for the better because of new
> > > developments.
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > We won't fall into the same trap if we properly build our infrastructure
> > around playground for now.
>
> I disagree with that, the projects.k.o infrastructure gives us the
> possibility to properly group our code in a way that its easily
> discoverable. We should use that.
>
> > Note: Milian please, this should be dealt for Quanta as well!
>
> And the website too I guess. But for the latter, I don't see why it
> should go to playground. After all its supposed to be stable, useful
> etc., it just does not need translations from our i18n team (or am I
> wrong there).
>
> Andreas
>
> --
> Of course you have a purpose -- to find a purpose.
>
> --

I have added a link in [1] pointing to the unstable playground plugins to
ease that lookup. If anybody has an idea about how to make it more user
friendly tell me and I'll change accordingly (also it will have to be
changed after the rename milian's talking below).

I did it so fast because I was given an ultimatum and I don't think it would
be a good idea to see the l10n team giving up in KDevelop.

I haven't heard any complaints about www, so I'd leave it where it is.

[1] https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/kdevelop