KDevelop's welcome page

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Dec 2 16:33:35 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 9:09 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Michael Andersson <
> mike.andersson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A few points:
>>
>> * Round edges is contemporary and definitely can be professional. In
>> fact, sharp edges have a '90:s air to them and should be avoided unless
>> they're designed very well.
>>
>> * I am one of the significant minority that gets headaches from bright
>> backdrops. All my UI:s are set to dark colours. Your mock-ups presuppose
>> white backdrops, which not only looks bad for us with dark colour schemes
>> but also is actually painful. I would recommend that the colours
>> auto-adjust, or that you prepare a dark scheme too.
>>
>> The basic design is nice though!
>>
>> Michael
>>

>> On 16 November 2011 20:41, Sven Brauch <svenbrauch at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Looks cool! Are you sure about the round corners? Maybe it'd look more
>>> professional with sharp ones, no? :)
>>>
>>> Cheers

>>> are
>>> but
>>> sending

>>> an
>>> http://proli.net/meu/kdevelop/kdev-welcomepage.png>
>>> http://proli.net/meu/kdevelop/kdev-welcomepage.png>
>>> http://proli.net/meu/kdevelop/kdev-welcomepage.png>

>>> with the

> To be fair, I don't really mind if they are rounded or square :)
>
> Do you think you could adapt the mockup pixmaps to the QML BorderImage [1]
> element?
>
> This way we can start using them...
>
> Aleix
>
> [1]
> http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/library/html/qt4/qml-borderimage.html?tab=1

Well, we can't leave this thread like this.

If somebody thinks it is too ugly, please provide an idea (something
further than just a mock up image). Otherwise I'll merge to master and
there we can play with it. In any case I don't think it's worse than a gray
screen...

It would be good to use the KDE QML Components, but I don't think it's an
option for KDev 4.3 since we would depend on KDE 4.8, but theming will be
easier and more integrated once it's done.

If you guys still think it's too bad for us, then let's just start the kdev
4.3 process and plan a soon-ish 4.4.

Thoughts?
Aleix