Delay in GDB

Leon Pollak leonp at plris.com
Thu Aug 25 22:30:14 UTC 2011

On Thursday 25 August 2011 20:34:57 Niko Sams wrote:
> Hm, sounds like a ugly workaround that only works if you move the mouse
> fast enough...
> Isn't it possible to fix the real cause for the error?
Niko, I am not a guru in gdb/gdbserver and payed about 3 weeks of work trying
to fix this (I thought this is my problem), till I finally found in the
Internet that this is "normal" situation with gdb not to display the mapped
memory and some more. The recommendation was to make a small macro and copy
the desired region into ordinary RAM and then display it. That's what I did.
This is something connected to pthreads and the way gdb reaches the memory.

> What is a "bus error" - who causes this error?
The kernel trace message shows that gdbserver tries to reach the mapped memory
using the memory_remapio function calls, which is incorrect, because this is
RAM and not IO.
It also happens, for example, when I try to watch the 'errno' variable, which
in the case of multithreaded application is actually not a variable, but a
redefined function call.