Double tooltips

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Wed Sep 8 12:54:07 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 08 September 2010 16:31:32 Niko Sams wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 21:43, Vladimir Prus <ghost at cs.msu.su> wrote:
> >
> > I see that while in Debug area, hovering over a variable gives me two
> > tooltips -- one from contextbrowser and another from debugger, which
> > is clearly not nice. The contextbrowser tooltip is created in
> > kdevplatform/plugins/contextbrowser/contextbrowser.cpp, see viewCreated
> > and textHintRequested.
> >
> > Does anybody have any opinion how this should be fixed? It seems ideal to
> > - Make each View aware of the Area it belongs too
> > - Make each Area specify a list of 'tooltip providers' it allows
> > - When installing tooltip handler, check if the area of the view allows
> > what we're trying to install.
> >
> What do you think about a priority system? So if debug+contextbrowser are
> avaliable debug has a higher priority.
> I think the implementation would be much easier....

Why do you think implementation will be easier? I think that priority system
using numerical priority would be wrong, since it's impossible to assign
integer priorities if you don't know all possible plugins. It's much
better to use explicit priority comparisons, like "org.kdevelop.tooltips.Debugger
is higher priority that org.kdevelop.tooltips.Context", but if such explicit
comparisons are used, the implementation complexity will be around the same.

- Volodya