Git Support ready-ness

Frederik Schwarzer schwarzerf at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 13:44:54 UTC 2010

[Niko Sams - Dienstag 07 September 2010 07:57:40]
> 2010/9/7 Nicolás Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com>:
> > On 06/09/2010, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> >> Ideally I wanted to have
> >> common actions (among all vcs) named similarly in all menus.
> >
> > Note that in the kde-l10n-es mailing list we found it's hard to find a
> > translation for some terms that work for both centralized and
> > distributed version control.
> >
> > I've seen SVN GUIs translating "Commit" in the same way as Mercurial
> > GUIs translate "Push", using a word that means "send". The Spanish
> > translation of KDevelop currently uses that for "Commit", which is
> > misleading for DVCSs where committing is a completely local operation
> > that doesn't 'send' anything anywhere.
> >
> Should the actions be translated at all?
> I mean when talking in german I use the terms "commit", "push", "pull" etc.

In German "commit" is currently (Cervisia) translated as "einspielen",
which will need rethinking in terms of DVCS.
However, every user-visible string should be translatable. It's for the
team to decide, if a string should be translated or not.

Regards