Git Support ready-ness

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 6 10:17:17 UTC 2010

2010/9/6 Nicolai Haehnle <nhaehnle at gmail.com>:
> What's wrong with "Pull"?
>
> I realize that other VCS don't necessarily use that term, but Git
> does, and Git is already reasonably well known by people. If I as a
> git user were to try out KDevelop's git support, I would see the
> "Update" option and I would be confused and unsure about what it does.
> Sure, I would probably try it out at some point and conclude that what
> it really does is "Pull". So why not just call it "Pull"?
>
> There is tons of literature out there already explaining what the
> difference in terminology is to people who migrate from SVN to Git. I
> don't see why you would want to add to that literature an explanation
> of "Deviations from Git terminology in KDevelop".
>
> cu,
> Nicolai

I also agree that it's better to keep up the terminology wherever
possible. It anyway won't be possible to hide git completely, so we
should make the integration with the command-line as smooth as
possible, by making very clear what each menu entry does. Even "Update
from Repository" seems misleading if you can simply call it "Pull".
For example, such a "Pull" can lead to local conflicts, and the user
will very easily find how to solve these when googling for "git
resolve conflicts pull", but he won't find much when googing for "git
resolve conflicts update from repository".

Greetings, David