Git Support ready-ness

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Sep 3 02:07:54 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 12:32 AM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 02.09.10 22:46:15, David Nolden wrote:
> > I think we don't have the ressources to maintain a git plugin that
> > works with many versions, so we should simply go the version-check way
> > (it could be checked when kdevelop decides whether a directory is
> > controlled by git, it could always return false and do a warning on
> > the command-line if the version is too old). Personally I can solve
> > this for myself by doing a _local_ installation of a current git
> > version.
>
> As I just discussed with Aleix on irc, thats not going to be a
> good-enough solution as at least --porcelain for git status was only
> implemented in 1.7 (which was first released end of February 2010). IMHO
> we do need to support git versions that are 1.5-2 years old which means
> everything since 1.6.0.1 (roughly) and hence we have to be able to parse
> --porcelain as well as --short output for git status.
>
> Other git-parameters things will also need to be checked for being
> available in 1.6.0.
>
> Andreas
>
> --
> Good news.  Ten weeks from Friday will be a pretty good day.
>
> --

I worked on that for a while, it quite a loss of time though. Before 1.7 git
status was something like git commit without committing, so it had just that
information.

There's the option to use "git ls-files -t" but I think it's not verbose
enough for us, if anybody knows something better, please tell me.

I think that for us it's quite important to use the machine-readable
commands, so I'd vote for forcing git 1.7.

Anyway, good night.
Aleix