Git Support ready-ness

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Thu Sep 2 20:37:36 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 4:45 PM, David Nolden <zwabel at googlemail.com> wrote:

> The new version of the git support doesn't work any more on my machine.
>
> The problem:
> "git diff ABSOLUTE_PATH" doesn't work (might depend on my git version
> 1.5.4.3). The plugin should use the git root directory as
> working-directory instead, and use relative paths when calling git.
>
> Noone else has noticed this problem?
>
> Greetings, David
>
> --

Well then I guess you will have this same problem with other parts. I see
two options here:
- We check for the version: unpolite but effective
- we fix this issue and we're all happy but the code has weird behavior that
will be unneeded in the future.

On the asserting, it's probably fine to remove some of them, I can review it
also, no problem.

It's using porcelain because it's been told to be the official way to be
called from code, it's on the documentation. We can move to --short for the
moment, I'm not sure what implications this is going to have

On supporting old versions, I'm not really sure we have to do that though,
because even if it's true that these systems have old versions, they also
have kdevelop3 so caring about that is just a corner case that we're going
to hit when developers (like you) are influenced by these problems but most
will just install the version it's installed on their system and if they
want something newer, they will upgrade the system.

Said that, maybe you could send me an e-mail (here or to my e-mail) with
your particular problems and I'll take my time to address them and get back
to the list to consider the implications of forcing git >1.6 or >1.7. If you
don't mind though, I'd prefer to

Thanks,
Aleix