Request for feedback on Signature Assistant

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sat Oct 30 15:34:16 UTC 2010

On Friday 29 October 2010 09:18:52 Olivier JG wrote:
> Having pushed the rename assistant, I'm going to update the signature
> assistant to complement it better.
> In the process, I was thinking to change what it offers as follows:
>
> Editing Definition, offer:
>    "Sync declaration -- don't use new names and discard defaults"
>    If old types w/ defaults match new types w/ defaults
>      "Sync declaration -- use new names and preserve defaults"
>      "Sync declaration -- use new names and discard defaults"
>    If old types w/ defaults don't match new types w/ defaults
>      "Sync declaration -- use new names and discard defaults"
>    If there are no defaults in the declaration:
>      "Sync declaration -- use new names"
>    Bonus/maybe/whatdoyouthink: if defaults are added to the definition,
> offer "move defaults"
> Editing Declaration, offer:
>    "Rewrite definition -- use new names"
>    "Rewrite definition -- don't use new names"

You'd first have to come up with a better UI for the assistants. It does not
scale for so much choices / text.

> Currently the signature assistant tries really hard to figure out what
> happened to all the new arguments and move the defaults accordingly.
> This has it's problems:
> 1. When I did that part, I was keeping in mind the ability to have a
> decl with: "void func(int i, int j=0)", and a corresponding definition
> of "void func(int i=0, int j)". GCC says it's ok, but it's really not
> worth it to allow it.
> 2. It's impossible to actually get it right 100% of the time, which
> makes it look stupid sometimes.
>
> This way, if the old defaults don't work anymore, it'll just discard
> them. That way it can't be wrong, and only in a minority case will you
> have to go and repair your defaults manually. If you add the
> "Bonus/maybe/whatdoyouthink" offer above, assuming people figure it out,
> it'll cover 100% without wrong.
>
> Do you prefer the current behavior? Is there a problem with this
> proposition?

I don't like choices in the assistants, as I said above the UI sucks. If you
could improve it, I'd be ok with more choices here, even though the current
assistant works quite nice for me.

Bye
--
Milian Wolff