Python documentation

Sven Brauch svenbrauch at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 17 18:59:27 UTC 2010

Hi!

Thank you very much for your answers.

Well David, it's not only about speed; I also consider it extremely
inelegant to waste CPU time for virtually nothing. There's really no reason
to generate documentation for a module 20.000 times a day when there's no
chance it'll ever change... plus, progress indicators are very nice, but
being fast enough to leave them out is always nicer. :) Also, for some
modules like QtGui, it takes about 30 seconds to generate documentation; of
course, you don't want to show all that in a tooltip, but maybe the
sub-packages listed there, and being able to load those from a databse is
much nicer than yet another pydoc hack. But I agree, waiting for 0.5 seconds
when opening a tooltip is not a problem -- once. If I have to wait 0.5
seconds every single time I open it, it *is* going to annoy me.
What's the problem with maintaining that database? Does anyone have to
maintain it when it's just being used as a cache, or what did I miss here?
Shipping it pre-filled with better documentation than pydoc actually
provides would just be an extra cookie and of very low priority.
I considered keeping the python scripts running for the parser, too, but I
dismissed it because it's simply not worth it. The only thing you could save
with that is time needed for startup; which is actually only needed once
because python caches stuff very well (and also keeps semi-compiled versions
of the script around, so it's not even reparsed).

Aleix: Great to hear other stuff is using that too, it can't be that bad
then. :) I'll try to do it like that, thank you very much.

Greetings,
Sven