Perforce Plugin - Trouble with environment in execution of job?

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Mon Nov 15 21:47:16 UTC 2010

Morten Volden, 15.11.2010:
> Hi All
>
> A little while ago I asked on this list about the status of a Perforce
> plug-in for Kdevelop4. Since no one replied I take it that development on
> such a plug-in is not going on at the moment. So I started writing a
> perforce plug-in.
>
> My current status in short:
> I have the plug-in loaded, and it will show in the context menu - So far so
> good.
>
> The plugin overrides pure virtual functions in ICentralizedVersionControl
> and in IBasicVersionControl. E.g. for the edit function I do something like
> this:
>
> KDevelop::VcsJob* perforceplugin::edit(const KUrl& localLocation)
> {
>     QFileInfo fsObject(localLocation.toLocalFile());
>     QString filename(fsObject.fileName());
>     QDir path(fsObject.dir());
>
>     DVcsJob* job = new DVcsJob(path, this, KDevelop::OutputJob::Verbose);
>     if(job)
>         kDebug() << "After Creating job, the path is " << path.path() <<
> "and the filename is " << filename << "... And the jobs dir is: " <<
> job->directory().path();
>     *job << "p4" << "edit" << filename;
>     return job;
> }
>
> When Trying to edit one of the files in my perforce testbed the kDebug
> gives me the following output:
>
> perforceplugin::edit: After Creating job, the path is
> "/home/mvo/testbed/perforcetest" and the filename is  "main.cpp" ... And
> the jobs dir is:  "/home/mvo/testbed/perforcetest"
>
> Which leads me to believe the DVcsJob I am creating has the correct CWD
> (i.e. /home/mvo/testbed/perforcetest ). However, the command issued by the
> job fails for reasons that escape me (as can be seen in the screenshot
> below).
>
> http://imagebin.ca/view/89faihm.html
>
> The perforce server and port are specified in the file p4config.txt (p4
> will look for its settings in a file of that name).
>
> If I issue the same command in a kdevelop konsole, it works (see konsole
> window in screenshot below)
>
> http://imagebin.ca/view/G4zUSuW.html
>
> Can anyone shed some light on what the difference is between the command in
> the DvcsJob and the command issued in the terminal?

this looks strange indeed. You should try debugging DVcsJob::start and see
whether e.g. setting the environment has an effect on the workingdir set for
the process.

Otherwise maybe Aleix has some info as he worked on the git support.

Hope we can find out why this is not working :)

Btw, where do we find your sourcecode? It would be cool if you could develop
that in the open from the start, esp. so we can look at your sources when you
have a problem.

bye
--
Milian Wolff