Why can I not writeLock after ReadLock?

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Fri Nov 12 23:40:06 UTC 2010

Hey there, esp. David.

why is this not allowed (see also duchainlock.cpp:163):

DUChainReadLocker lockRead;
/* do stuff that only requires a read lock */

DUChainWriteLocker lockWrite;
/* do stuff that also needs a write lock */

I assumed that a write lock is the same as a read lock, just with *additional*
checks. Since the above is not possible, I have to unlock the chain (if only
for a *very* short time) which would potentially make it possible for
declarations to get invalid (DeclarationPointer, I know - but still, it should
*not* happen to begin with).

And to have a write lock *all the time* sounds like overkill to me. The
usebuilder e.g. needs to find some declaration (read) which takes most of the
time probably, then only it has to report a new use (only write operation).

PHP did this up until now (which is of course hazardous, thanks for pointing
that out through your commit):

Declaration* dec = findDeclaration(someIdentifier);
newUse(node, dec);

i.e. no locking at all - yay :)

Now I thought let's fix it this way:

DUChainReadLocker lock;
Declaration* dec = findDeclaration(someIdentifier);
DUChainWriteLocker lockW;
newUse(node, dec);

But well, it's not working as I said above. Why?
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de
http://milianw.de