Working Sets

Paul Wheeler paulrwheeler at gmail.com
Sat May 22 10:47:04 UTC 2010

All,

I have been following the kdevelop list along with svn and now git
versions. I know there has been a lot of discussions about working
sets. In the early days these did not work well from a users point of
view, many sets were generated seemingly randomly.

However, in the latest version I think these work well and are a very
good feature. For general working you do not notice them at all. Today
I wanted to do a small change in a different area of code while still
keeping knowledge of the files open for a bigger change that I had
been working on. I was very quickly able to 'store' the files for for
the bigger change and use a new working set for the small change. Once
the small change was done I closed the working set and continued with
the old one. It worked very well.

I know that the working set code complicates things a bit but I think
it is well worth it and a good feature that makes kdevelop even better
than the other IDEs. I dont know of any other where I can so easily
have the workflow decided above.

One small issue -- it would be handy to have a delete button for the
currently opened working set. Currently it takes two clicks (close
then delete) and is not completely obvious.

Thanks a lot to you all for the good work.

Paul