Dirty files

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon May 17 22:16:25 UTC 2010

On 17.05.10 21:56:43, Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> On Sunday 16 May 2010 22:37:39 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Sure, but one needs to know the limits too. Unfortunately KDirWatch is
> > not well documented wrt. its limits.
>
> If KDirWatch uses inotify (which is likely), then the limit is 8192 on my
> machine to be exact. From reading the code, there seems to be no other limits.

Actually all distro's use the fam/gamin-backend afaik, as thats the only one
which supports NFS properly. And I always thought its 8k files per
KDirWatch instance if inotify is being used.

> That would almost be a problem for kdebase, with 4000+ cpp+h files and
> possibly that many generated files of assorted kinds. However, inotify can be
> set to watch the directories that the files reside in instead, drastically
> reducing the need for watchers, at the price of getting some events we are not
> interested in.

Actually, we might not even get the notifications we're interested in,
see the api dox of dirty(). It might not be emitted when files change
their size/attribute, its only guaranteed to be emitted when files are
being created/deleted.

> I can find no limits for the less like case of using libfam/famd.

Its actually more likely (although I've disabled it here) as its the
default and as I said above the default in distro-packages too.

You can do very well in speculation where land or anything to do with dirt
is concerned.