proposal for kdevelop.org new website design

Sam S. smls75 at gmail.com
Mon May 17 17:14:17 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 12:19 AM, Niko Sams <niko.sams at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> So we know your real name now *evil grin* :D

:-)

> [...]
> But what is not yet possible with that technique is that the content gets wider
> after the end of the right boxes.
> You did that in your proposal.
> Should we ignore that?
> I'd not have a big problem with moving up the html of the quickboxes - if there
> is no other way to do that.

Indeed, the choices regarding those Quick Access boxes seem to be:
  1) use a dedicated full-height column for them  (current situation)
  2) make it possible to float them like in the mockup, by making them
fixed-height
  3) make it possible to float them like in the mockup, by moving
their HTML above the page content

So, it really boils down to choosing one of these three "compromises".

Actually, I don't think the current choice is so bad.
When I created the mockups, I used a relatively small width of 1024
Pixels, but now that I see the work-in-progress implementation in
larger screen resolutions, I don't see much incentive to slavishly
follow the mockup in this case, if it means sacrificing other things.

At least regarding the front page, that is: Whether we want a whole
full-height column for just a single quick acces box (see e.g. my
"News Page" mockup), is another question. What do you think?