What to do with the kdebase/workspace dependency?

Niko Sams niko.sams at gmail.com
Wed May 12 19:39:37 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 21:47, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so, 4.0 is out and I think we should try to tackle the kdebase/workspace
> dependency. Its a problem for various distro's which split the
> libraries, its a problem for people compiling kdebase themselves and
> disabling parts of it (because the kdebase/workspace cmake stuff doesn't
> support this properly) and its a problem for other platforms as
> workspace is only available on X11.
>
> When the dependency was introduced the respective developers promised to
> move the libraries we need to kdelibs for 4.4, now we have 4.5 in
> feature freeze and there's been no change.
>
> That leaves us with two options at this point (IMHO):
>
> a) drop back to the old code for choosing a process to attach to
> b) copy the libs into our codebase
>
> until the libs are in kdebase
>
> I'm very much against b) and much in favour of a), after all this is
> about selecting a process from a list and not about inspecting processes
> and their properties. All we need is a pid, the userid and progname+args
> to decide which is the right process to attach to and that should be
> easily doable without this huge extra dep binding us to X11.

It's a lot prettier, it would be very unfortunate to lose that.
Is someone working (or at least planning to work) on moving it into kdelibs?
If yes I'd say short-term solution is to copy and long term solution is to wait
until it's in kdelibs.

and yes, the dependency should be removed, thanks for bringing the
issue up again.

Niko