What to do with the kdebase/workspace dependency?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue May 11 19:47:45 UTC 2010

Hi,

so, 4.0 is out and I think we should try to tackle the kdebase/workspace
dependency. Its a problem for various distro's which split the
libraries, its a problem for people compiling kdebase themselves and
disabling parts of it (because the kdebase/workspace cmake stuff doesn't
support this properly) and its a problem for other platforms as
workspace is only available on X11.

When the dependency was introduced the respective developers promised to
move the libraries we need to kdelibs for 4.4, now we have 4.5 in
feature freeze and there's been no change.

That leaves us with two options at this point (IMHO):

a) drop back to the old code for choosing a process to attach to
b) copy the libs into our codebase

until the libs are in kdebase

I'm very much against b) and much in favour of a), after all this is
about selecting a process from a list and not about inspecting processes
and their properties. All we need is a pid, the userid and progname+args
to decide which is the right process to attach to and that should be
easily doable without this huge extra dep binding us to X11.

You will be recognized and honored as a community leader.