merging patches to origin

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat May 8 08:56:07 UTC 2010

On 08.05.10 10:39:09, Bertjan Broeksema wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I see that the public repository gets some merge commits like this one from
> Hamish: 41a99933719945ff84abc4d7587736be401a5d23
>
> Imo, this should be prevented wherever possible (i.e. as least for normal
> patches first committed locally). It will make it harder to find regression with
> git bisect.
>
> There is a relative easy way to prevent this. When starting a new patch,
> create a local branch i.e. local. Then:

There's an even easier way git pull --rebase before pushing, that will
basically do a git fetch + git rebase origin/master, rebasing all
commits you've done locally into your local master branch on top of
whatever has happened on the remote branch.

Good day to deal with people in high places; particularly lonely stewardesses.