Git repositories created and how to work with them

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed May 5 15:31:00 UTC 2010

On 05.05.10 16:12:56, Nicolai Haehnle wrote:
> Lurker here...
>
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> > I've created a 4.0 branch already from master, thats our stable branch
> > and should get all bugfix commits on it. We'll than have to make sure
> > that its merged once a week (or more often for important fixes) into
> > master so that master also gets the bugfixes. I don't want to be
> > responsible alone for that, so if anybody notices no merge on sunday
> > evening if there's been commits to 4.0 branch in the week, please just
> > do the merge.
>
> For what it's worth, there has just been a discussion on the Mesa3d
> mailing list about getting rid of exactly this process. At least from
> my understanding, the main problems with this process are:

Whats the outcome? Amarok (not sure about konversation) took also a
different route where they directly release from master, but I think master
is closed for feature-development and hence basically is a stable branch.
Only at certain point when a given feature branch is finished and tested
enough is it merged into master. But I'm not 100% sure what their exact
model is wrt. commits that may go directly into master...

You will have long and healthy life.