How to get the Project Dashboard right

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun May 2 16:53:56 UTC 2010

On 02.05.10 15:32:58, Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 2:14 PM, David Nolden <zwabel at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > 2010/5/2 Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org>:
> So do you guys all agree that we prefer to create smth custom instead of
> using plasma?

No, definetly not. At least not before having tried it out.

And I certainly don't want us to write our own plugin to get rss and
another to get the review-board stuff and yet another for X and just one
more for Y. In particular not if other people have already written them.

What I'd like to have is a dashboard where I can easily move around the
elements to re-order them by drag'n'drop, I can resize them in some way
to make one a bit larger and reduce the size of another (this is one of
the major problems I have at work with jira's dashboard) and I want an
easy way to add new ones to it (without having to go through some config
dialog).

I see three ways of doing it:

a) re-using what plasma can give us
b) using just QGV
c) using plain qwidgets

And thats also the order in which I'd try to get something going,
because it allows to write as little code as possible (if not, then
the design of libplasma has completely failed and thats rather bad for a
kdelibs api with such thorough review).

HTML is completely out of the question, in particular because most of us
are C++ developers and not HTML/Web Developers. Its not just about
somebody writing some code that works like a dashboard, its also about
being able to maintain that in the future.

You're currently going through a difficult transition period called "Life."