How to get the Project Dashboard right

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Sat May 1 22:49:03 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Alexander Dymo <alexander.dymo at gmail.com>wrote:

> > HTML is simply the
> > wrong tool here for a dashboard, it takes much more work to do the same
> > with HTML that you can do with plasma.
> I think html+javascript approach is much easier actually (and huge amount
> of
> people already does floating configurable widgets. heck, I can do a movable
> widget in under 1 minute:)).
>
> So, if we compare that to plasma which crashes, takes tons of memory and
> never
> works right... I'd say - go for a simplest thing that works.
>
> --

Saying plasma just crashes and never work is out of place, it's being used
in amarok and desktop and nobody is complaining about it, actually amarok
people they're quite happy about it.

Easily creating floating entities is not an issue, I can create a floating
widget in a QGV in 1 minute to, with plasma also and probably with QPainter
too. The thing is that we need some platform that:
* is configurable
* is layouted
* lets our plugins to put as many things we want
* Makes it easy to create new items
* Makes it easy for these items to be flexible
* Makes it easy to modify and put new data flexibly

One good thing I really like about plasma is that it lets us add items that
doesn't come from a plugin.

For example:
we can have the user to add rss and he adds the rss plasmoid for the project
and we will get that for free and without adding a kdevelop rss plugin which
would be weird and the same with anything else. Yes, I know we don't want
clocks on the dashboard but I like that we can also put stuff that doesn't
depend on kdevelop but just to show. Webview applet is a good example too.

(according to the plasma+kdepim guy these plasmoids will be moved to kdelibs
in the near future)

Note: if I'm taking all that time discussing about that is because I
wouldn't really like to decide to do our-thing (tm) and end up by finding
all the problems when it's done. It's not like I have any special interest
on using Plasma but I want to have something that fits our needs now and in
the future for most users.

Hope that helps,
Aleix