Project layout on gitorious.org

Sam S. smls75 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 18:22:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Niko Sams <niko.sams at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 18:16, Sam S. <smls75 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>> 'kdev-plugin-php'?
>> The 'kdev' would officially stand for 'kdevplatform'... Then, even if
>> some plugins which are common to both apps were located in the Quanta
>> project, KDevelop users would be able to easily find them. (To
>> differentiate, plugins only belonging to either KDevelop *or* Quanta
>> could just be called 'plugin-x' and of course be located in the
>> respective project directories.)
>> Just an idea...
> Those are repositories in the kdevelop project. So it should be clear that it's
> a kdevplatform plugins.

What I was trying to say is, it would make it easy for users to
differentiate between
   - KDevPlatform plugins
   - Quanta plugins
within the Quanta project, and similarly, between
   - KDevPlatform plugins
   - KDevelop plugins
within the KDevelop project. It would then be no problem to distribute
the shared KDevPlatform plugins among the two projects (depending on
where each one would fit better), and still make it easy to find them
all when looking at both projects at a whole.

I think it would be quite easy to intuitively interpret a
project/repository structure like the following (just an example):

Quanta/
    kdev-plugin-php
    kdev-plugin-executescript
    plugin-x
    plugin-y

KDevelop/
    kdev-plugin-python
    kdev-plugin-classbrowser
    plugin-z

Everyone who has heard of KDevPlatform will probably "get" this
repository structure right away without explanation.
To anyone else it will also be very easy to explain what is what.

Note that I don't really understand all that git stuff though (yet),
so maybe I'm completely off the mark...
Just commenting as a user, out of self-interest (I'd like to be able
to find/get an overview over available plugins easily!) ;-)