GSoC 2010: Making KDevelop suitable for large C projects

Nitin Gupta ngupta at vflare.org
Tue Mar 30 13:11:24 UTC 2010

On 03/30/2010 05:56 AM, David Nolden wrote:
> The right way to go is making the simplified parsing faster. In
> simplified parsing mode only a very reduced amount of information is
> collected, mostly just the function names and some information about the
> #include structure. I think the slowest part is the stored meta
> information from the preprocessor, we should consider further reducing
> that information. Profiling will help. One thing is for sure: we can
> make the simplified parsing a lot faster, and that's the right way to
> go, as opposed to creating plugins for random additional tools, be it
> gtags, ctags or whatever.

Yes, I have now shifted the focus to optimizing the parser rather than
an new gtags/etc. plugin. I'm now trying to understand and profile duchain
code to identify areas of bottleneck and to help prepare GSoC application
just focusing on this optimization work. I really want to see KDevelop
useful for large projects -- just like KScope was indispensable for
hacking on the kernel code.

Thanks,
Nitin