GSoC 2010: Making KDevelop suitable for large C projects

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Mar 29 19:07:31 UTC 2010

On 29.03.10 23:16:06, Nitin Gupta wrote:
> On 03/29/2010 06:03 PM, Milian Wolff wrote:
> > Nitin Gupta, 27.03.2010:
> >
> >> For past few months, I have been working on a simple IDE (called KXref)
> >> based on Sublime UI framework, to allow working with large C based
> >> projects (Linux kernel in particular): http://code.google.com/p/kxref/
> >>
> >> However, I soon realized that it will be much more useful and productive if
> >> all this can be developed as plugins for upcoming KDevelop4. My initial
> >> attempt to get it working for Linux kernel failed badly primarily due to
> >> lack of cscope, or better GNU global, integration (built-in background
> >> parser is too slow for such large projects). There are many other factors
> >> which make it unsuitable for kernel projects (as detailed below).
> >>
> >> Unlike popular belief, an IDE for kernel projects (IMHO) is highly
> >> desirable. Trying to understand such huge and complex codebases is almost
> >> impossible otherwise. Plain vim+ctags is often not sufficient.
> >>
> >> I'm planning to submit this as a GSoC proposal. I would be thankful for any
> >> feedback.
> >
> > My personal opinion is: One can integrate each and every tool there is for
> > KDevelop, but I'd much prefer improving the performance of the build in parser
> > instead of using yet another tool for the job...
> >
> > I found quite a few places to optimize over the weeks, and I bet there are
> > more.
> >

> Built-in parser seems to be slow beyond repair. Following is test summary:

I suggest you back that statement up by some knowledge about the
codebase. Making such blanket statements won't get you much friends
around here ;)

> I have not yet started digging into code but I guess above stark difference in gtags vs in-built
> parser speed is due to much more contextual information gathered by the latter (like usage of a
> local variables withing functions etc), but now quite sure.

I don't know gtags, but the amount of information gathered by ctags is
mostly useless to me. The result is only suitable for doing some basic
completion, not for code-navigation or finding out how code works.

> At the same time, use in-built parser to provide rich local context
> information -- like highlighting usage of a local variable within its scope -- for currently opened
> files only.

You can have that already today, simply disable project parsing.

> Apart from faster parsing, essential components for supporting large C projects are:
>  - Graph Viewer: Use information from gtags query to quickly generate call graphs
>     - Check if existing graph viewer can be extended to use gtags or a new one needs to be developed.

This is available as playground plugin already based on duchain,
automatically working for all language plugins we have.

>  - Query Viewer: Again use gtags for queries and show results as generated by gtags
>     - Current 'Code Browser' window does not show query history. A tabbed query result window is needed
>       to maintain query history (very important).

What exactly do you mean with "query"?

You will give someone a piece of your mind, which you can ill afford.