HTML XML DTD

Niko Sams niko.sams at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 19:50:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 18:56, Ruan Strydom <ruan at jcell.co.za> wrote:
> Thanks,  I will have a look,
>
> I need more advice:
>
> With regards to the tree: SGML's open, close and content of tags depends on
> the specification in DTD, assuming that a tag does not have to be closed or
> that its content is CDATA ie SCRIPT breaks SGML.
>
> With that said:
> Lexing/parsing and validating against DTD is a pretty complex and lengthy task
> as I just found out (duh ;) ).
>
> 1) Should I ignore DTD for now, and just parse on a fixed set of rules for
> HTML loose for instance (the same goes for the formatter)? If not I have a
> couple of questions on implementing the DTD parser (I have  to rewrite it :(
> ).
If that makes things easier - do that.

> 2) Also, I need to rename the project and move everything into a 'namespace' I
> was thinking 'Ml' as in 'Markup Language'? If I am going to hard-code the
> rules for HTML I could create a project for HTML and leave this project as
> XML? (I think HTML takes priority so I am going to leave XML for now (just
> simple bug fixes))
I'd prefer stuff split up into multiple plugins if possible. That way
it's much easier
to handle. Meaning: separate html and xml and even the formatter and
validator into
individual plugins.
Code sharing might get harder that way - you can have a lib that get's
used by all plugins.
But please look for other opinions on this.

Niko