Git import postponed?!

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Mar 3 07:14:21 UTC 2010

On 03.03.10 00:11:26, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 03 März 2010 00:07:15 schrieb Alexander Dymo:
> > > To conclude: I'm not willing to push this (move of kdevelop) through
> > > against the will of all other people involved with kde-git, but I won't
> > > be doing feature work in svn either anymore (that happens when one uses
> > > superior tools :(
> >
> > Andreas, please, please, don't stop with the migration. The people who
> > complain (they are clearly the minority btw), can't decide for us and I
> > thought everybody here supported the move to git ASAP (if you don't, please
> > voice your opinion now).
> >
> > So, unless anyone from KDevelop developers objects, I'd like to ask you to
> > push the migration.
> >
> > If you think I should write a mail supporting you on scm-interest ml, let
> >  me know.
> >
> > PS: especially interesting, is that the person who argues the most, comes
> >  from the project (namely koffice) which already uses git and which plans
> >  to move to git completely any day now...
> Actually the timing of the planend move surprised me a bit.

Well, you may thank Ossi for that :) He suggested (I didn't dig further
or even try it), that forward-merging the stable branch into master is
not going to work when we already branch in SVN.

> Why don't we simply wait until we've released KDevelop 4.0 and then start
> thinking about the migration, as planned before?

As Alexander said, thats still the plan, except that given the above I'd
like to move to git before creating the stable branch. I hopefully have
the migration rules setup this weekend (including full history for
KDev3, 2.x and 1.4) and the steps and setup for Gitorious are clear now
too. So the only thing left is juggling out which projects to create and
how to organize them. Given that we still have 2 months until the 4.0
release this sounds doable.

The only thing that was discussed to be done sooner rather than later is
moving kdevelop-pg-qt to git and creating a release from there so that
the php plugin can depend on it (we have to drop the external for moving
it to git) and distro's have packages ready when php is released (Niko
and Milian target the KDev release time for that).

You will be Told about it Tomorrow.  Go Home and Prepare Thyself.