debugging kdevelop.bin doesn't work

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Mar 1 23:32:27 UTC 2010

On 01.03.10 19:44:23, Victor Vicente de Carvalho wrote:

> >> While this will work,  the much preferred way is to write a Unit Test and
> >> debug any issue there. What Problem do you want to investigate?
> >
> > No, no problem at all. I'd like to investigate how duchain works, so
> > the need to debug the plugin :)
> >

> >> --
> >> Milian Wolff
> >> mail at milianw.de
> >> http://milianw.de
> >>
> >> --
> >

> Hmmm, kdevelop plugins aren't shared libraries?

Not exactly, no. They're shared-object-files, but they don't expose any
API, except a single C function to create a plugin instance.

> I've tried to run the plugin, kdevelop starts on main but when I open
> a php file nothing happens. I'm supposing that this is something
> related to lazy breakpoint's, no?

Did you make sure to build the php plugin with
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debugfull? Debug is required for any breakpoint to work
at all, debugfull is useful to get proper stepping (i.e. no wild jumping
around). And of course you need to make sure the code is actually
executed, so starting with a breakpoint in the constructor of the
php-plugin class might be a good idea.

Be security conscious -- National defense is at stake.