ExternalScript plugin ready to be merged (and some Quanta news)

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sat Jun 19 10:04:25 UTC 2010

On Saturday 19 June 2010 08:31:36 Niko Sams wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 22:58, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> > Heyho :)
> >
> > I just more or less finished the ExternalScript plugin. What is it? Well,
> > it's a quick'n'easy plugin ~(1000loc) to execute arbitrary external
> > scripts or
>
> > commands. Example:
> Works great, I'll try to use my old Quanta3 scripts with that (have to
> update Kde first at work)
>
> Some issues:
> - add placeholders that make it possible for the script to communicate
> with kdevelop using
>   dbus (PID would be enough i think)
>   example usecase: open a document in kdevelop
> - add placeholders for current project path / all project paths
> - show the placeholders somewhere

They are in the tooltip of the command lineedit + label... But yeah I'll think
about a more prominent place...

> - make output view optional (when executing a script that generates
> code the opening  output view is just a waste of space)
> - show the toolview by default (?)

Good points, thanks.

> > Anyhow, please review, test and let me merge it:
> >
> > http://gitorious.org/+kdevelop-developers/kdevelop/devel-
> > kdevplatform/commits/externalscript
>
> I'd say merge it into master, my issues are just minor.

OK.

> > General Quanta notes:
> >
> > - we have powerful snippets (better than ever I'm tempted to say, now
> > that they are even completely javascript-able in kde 4.5)
> >
> > and yes, since yesterday snippets can have shortcuts assigned to them
>
> awesome!
> Are JavaScripted snippets somewhere documented or some examples?

Kate from git comes with a few example snippets that use it. It's essentially
something like this:

Script:
function testit(src) {
        debug("HELLO I'm a script");
        return "HELLO I'm a script. Text is:"+src+" I'm done";
}

Snippet:
The mirror value is calculated by a script
This ${field} should be mirrored
into ${field`testit`}

Take a look at the various TestSnippets (all languages) Joseph wrote. The
regex-replace with modifiers (uppercase, lowercase, ...) is also quite cool.

> > - proper multi language support in the DUChain
> > I'll wait for David to finish his rewrite and try to improve the current
> > situation a bit more. Imo this feature is crucial
>
> yes, this is a must for quanta.
>
> > - better $insert-web-language
> > I think I'll spent more time on xml, css and php in the next days to make
> > sure they all rock and are releasable. I'm also tempted to start on
> > JavaScript support ;-)
>
> JavaScript would be soo great - but very difficult. Don't waste too
> much time on that :D
>
> > - htm/xml outline like in Quanta 3
> > imo depends on the "better multi lang support" part, otherwise I'm OK
> > with writing a designated plugin for that...
>
> or improve quickopen outline so that it displays the context tree -
> that makes sense
> for c++ too I think.

Bye
--