ExternalScript plugin ready to be merged (and some Quanta news)

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Tue Jun 15 20:58:47 UTC 2010

Heyho :)

I just more or less finished the ExternalScript plugin. What is it? Well, it's
a quick'n'easy plugin ~(1000loc) to execute arbitrary external scripts or
commands. Example:

quickcompile == 'g++ -o %b %f && ./%f'
was requested quite a few times, most recently by ewoerner at LinuxTag :)

sort == 'sort'
replaced selection (or whole doc, if nothing was selected) by output as piped
through sort.

google selection == 'xgd-open "http://google.com/search?q=%s"'

Since users can add arbitrary commands, one could e.g. run kompare to get a
diff if one doesn't like what we have currently, or do general $magic :)

Note: It's _not_ integrated into the launch configuration since it's UI
requirements are different. It is reusing the IOutputView stuff and friends
though, awesome that we have something like that :) It's more similar to
snippets and actually I copied quite a few code snippets from there and from
the NativeAppJob.

Anyhow, please review, test and let me merge it:

http://gitorious.org/+kdevelop-developers/kdevelop/devel-
kdevplatform/commits/externalscript

General Quanta notes:

- we have powerful snippets (better than ever I'm tempted to say, now that
they are even completely javascript-able in kde 4.5)

and yes, since yesterday snippets can have shortcuts assigned to them

- we have external scripts to do $arbitrary stuff, also with shortcuts

What we need now imo is:

- custom toolbars
imo the discussion I started on kde-core-devel (still waiting for dfaure)
shows that this should be done _properly_ in kdelibs. Since afaik we all agree
that this is very low prio, I won't spent time on it for now.

- proper multi language support in the DUChain
I'll wait for David to finish his rewrite and try to improve the current
situation a bit more. Imo this feature is crucial

- better $insert-web-language
I think I'll spent more time on xml, css and php in the next days to make sure
they all rock and are releasable. I'm also tempted to start on JavaScript
support ;-)

- htm/xml outline like in Quanta 3
imo depends on the "better multi lang support" part, otherwise I'm OK with
writing a designated plugin for that...

- default snippets
I think that's what I'm going to do next, gather a good set of snippets to
reuse for webdevelopment

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de