[kdevplatform] d3af706 Increase KDE requirement to 4.4 to fix the build f

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Tue Jun 15 10:29:03 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 15 June 2010 12:24:22 David Nolden wrote:
> 2010/6/15 Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>:

> >> Very soon (after I'm ready with the SmartRange -> MovingRange
> >> porting), our trunk will anyway depend on kdelibs trunk and later
> >> kdelibs 4.5, so soon there will be no way around updating kdelibs for
> >> developers.
> >
> > Can we please postpone merging that branch until 4.5.0 is released? It'll
> > be quite a major change anyway, so lets depend on a released version
> > instead of some in-development-stuff (after all thats one of the points
> > of using feature-branches).
>
> But this is a such big change that I would want it to be in trunk as
> early as possible, so we have no merge conflicts in future, and so it
> can start stabilizing _early_ until we have our next release.
>
> I think feature branches are something for "optional" features that
> can be merged, or not merged, but this change is vital to KDevelop,
> and should go in as soon as it's functional. Also language-plugin
> developers need time to adapt their language plugins, and it's better
> for anyone to work on "current" code rather than code that's already
> superseded. After all, that's what "trunk" is for, no?
>
> I'd rather propose for those who want to be compatible with KDE 4.4 to
> branch of KDevelop 4.0, and then merge changes upwards into trunk if
> possible.

And guys, it's rather easy to get Kate from 4.5 setup nowadays thanks to the
Kate on Git repo:

http://gitorious.org/kate

All you need to do in order to link against it properly is symlinking it's
headers (dunno about the libs) into your (maybe stable) kdelibs. I do that
since some time and it works like a charm.

Bye

PS: I'm also for testing that as much as possible.
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de
http://milianw.de