MovingRanges Port: untitled documents

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Jul 22 15:42:53 UTC 2010

On Thursday, 22. July 2010 15:07:45 Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Thursday, 22. July 2010 15:07:00 Milian Wolff wrote:
> > Hey there,
> >
> > I noticed that KDevelop crashes in the MovingRanges port when one edits
> > an untitled document. This triggers a deleayed documentLoaded() (very
> > strange btw. that code!) and goes to the background parser slot. There
> > it's checked for a textDocument and a tracker gets added which checks
> > the url for validity.
> >
> > Problem:
> > KDevelop::Document::url() == 'Untitled'; == valid
> > TextDocument::url() == "" != valid
> >
> > => assert
> >
> > now I thought, fine lets add checks for validity before creating the
> > tracker, but is that what we want? Why is there a tracker at all for a
> > document for which no language exists? I'd like some feedback before I
> > start "fixing" stuff to make it work.
>
> PS: Shouldn't document renames (i.e. urlChanged) be tracked in the
> background parser?

Just to notify you David,

the port is still too unstable for me, and I have to spent some time on my
GSOC. I won't be able to do more in that regard until after GSOC. I've again
wasted quite a lot of hours trying to fix things.

Sorry, I hope my reports where at least useful and that you are able to fix
them. I'll definitely work on that again after GSOC.

Bye

PS: just for the protocoll, here are the most annoying bugs that I hit all the
time:

- crash on document reload (see long thread on kwrite ml)
- deadlock on assistant (see this ml)

And I generally percieve it to be "slower", i.e. more sluggish. Looks like
I'll have to do a lot more profiling after GSOC ;-)

Bye
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de