use cmake to support kdevelop plugin versioning

Julian Bäume julian at svg4all.de
Sun Jul 18 14:10:52 UTC 2010

hi,
I thought about a better way handling the plugin-version entry in the desktop
files. In my understanding, this version string is used to force a rebuild of
each plugin after some binary-incompatible change has been made. This will
also trigger API-changes to be applied, since during rebuilding, the plugins
with incompatible API won't compile.

In kdevplaform, there is a script to update the desktop files. I've created
some cmake scripts to handle this automatically during configure-time. For
now, I am getting the version string out of the
kdevplatform/interfaces/iplugin.h file into a cmake variable and after that I
use cmake's configure_files function to generate the desktop files. The
parsing of iplugin.h seems a bit hackish to me, so I'd propose to export the
plugin version as a cmake variable from the FindKDevPlatform.cmake file, that
gets installed along with the other development files.

In KDevPlatform/KDevelop/quanta/others, the same cmake functions could be used
to create the iplugin.h with the correct version set and create all desktop
files without using the shell script to update the files. So updating the
plugin version would be as easy as setting a variable in the
FindKDevPlatform.cmake file (or somewhere else, this file just needs to export
it to other projects).

Other projects then just need to recompile their code after an update of the
KDevPlatform version and fix all the compiling issues. Most of the time it's
just okay to update the version number and everything runs fine, again.

Well, I just wanted to ask, if this could work, as you have the better
understanding of what this plugin version actually does. May be, I didn't take
something important into account, yet.

You can find the cmake code I did here:
http://ktechlab.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=ktechlab/ktl-
j_ohny_b;a=blob;f=cmake/modules/KDevPluginVersion.cmake;h=99e2004f5c59a3db352f1b38fe44e9ac349dea97;hb=cmake_magic

bye then
julian