Changed Open/Import Project Page

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Wed Jul 14 13:53:15 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, 14. July 2010 14:25:26 David Nolden wrote:
> Hi, I've noticed that when I do "Open/Import Project", I first get the
> page to obtain the project from the web now.
>
> I think this shouldn't be there, but there rather should be a separate
> menu entry "Import Project from Repository" or something like that,
> where that stuff could exist.
>
> "Open/Import Project" was dead-easy and super fast before, and I think
> this makes the dialog too slow. We could also think about renaming it
> to "Open/Import Local Project" or something like that, to clearly
> distinguish both menu entries.

While I agree that I'm also sometimes hit by the extra step, I'd still like to
see whether we could not maybe find a different solution.

I often find it (personally?) very confusing when I open a dialog that does
something similar to what I want to do, just to see that it's not supposed to
be used for what I want to do. Meaning:

I don't like the idea of having two dialogs to do nearly the same thing. Could
we not find some other solution that keeps the current status (one dialog to
import a project) but somehow improve the UI/usability to make it fast once
again to import a local repository?

Imo a good solution would already be to put the second page file selection into
the place of the "working directory", when source == "do not obtain". To me
the working directory is simply obsolete.

And since switching the source already changes the UI below, I think we could
just reuse that?

What do you think?

Bye
--