KDevelop 4 user testing

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Tue Jul 6 11:30:18 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 06 July 2010, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> Today I had my first KDevelop user testing session - a Gluon
> developer tried KDevelop for the first time (he's coming from
> QtCreator) and I got some interesting notes/feedback:
> http://www.kdevelop.org/mediawiki/index.php/KDevelop_4/User_Testing

Good iniative, and I have to agree with most of the points. Figuring out
how to make a launch is hard (and yes, I still select an executable
instead of a target). Figuring out how to make the the project build
before running is even harder (you select the setting in the combo box,
but nothing happens, you have to add the build target). The solution
here would be to have the buildset and the applaunch set up with some
default value (how to figure out the values might be a challenge and of
course build system dependent).

 The autocompletion is nice, but sometimes too noisy, I agree. Eg. when
you can use a const char*, you will see all then i18n* variants (and
sometimes things like struct Unknown). The upper hint-box should have a
title to tell what is it.
 The tooltips (when you modify a function signature or add a new
variable without telling the type) were just visual noise for me, until
I saw Milian's demo at Akademy. Why? Because, I didn't want to move the
mouse while typing on the keyboard, and I had no idea you could use
Alt-1, Alt-2, etc.
 New class wizzard is ok, unless you use namespaces (I think I reported
this as a bug). "Create new method" seems to be needed by some user
coming from other IDEs.
 Inserting closing quotes (or double quotes), closing brackets is sub-
optimal. (e.g you have a "string", delete the first " , type " and you
get ""string". With the cursor between the "". Press backspace, the full
"" is gone. Reaction: wth, why backspace deletes something behind the
cursor? (I know, this is katepart "feature"). Same for brackets.

Well, I don't complain too much, but I'm happy that some what bothered
me was confirmed. :)

Andras