Problems with new session support

Niko Sams niko.sams at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 22:41:22 UTC 2010

>> > What would speak against making the session buttons open another instance
>> > without closing the existing one? If the user wants to switch, he can
>> >
>> >  simply close the other instance, no? I personally would find this far
>> >  better adapted to my personal workflow. What do you think?
>>
>> Because I think that the more common usecase is _switching_ and not opening
>> an additional session. You as a kdevelop developer might be a bit biased
>> as you probably often first open a kdevelop session and then an additional
>> testing session, but I think that's not the common usecase. It would be
>> very inconvenient if you just want to switch to another session, and have
>> to manually close the old session behind yourself through "ALT+TAB" etc..
>
> As I said in my other mail as well: I think most webdevelopers (i.e. the
> future Quanta userbase) will work on several projects simultaniously but don't
> want to have all potential projects open all the time. And with the hardcoded
> limit of only 10 projects in the "recently opened" list I see sessions as the
> only solution to a quick access and management of projects. And when a bug
> report comes in I don't want to close my current work but open kdevelop in
> another instance and fix it there then come back to my last session. At least
> that's the way I imagine I'd have worked if there'd been KDevelop4 back then
> :)
/me does have about 5 webdev sessions currently at work.
And I need to switch them pretty often.
But I never wanted to have two instances open, it's perfectly fine if
the session gets switched.
The old session should be perfectly restored after reopening and I can
continue there. (Yeah, that's not the case: the tab-order foor example
is not restored)

And the other issue: I think naming the session is not very important,
and I don't do it regulary. So imho it's Ok if I have to switch to
that sesson.

But that brings me to another point: Why do we have to restart
kdevelop anyway? I'm sure there are reasons for that - please explain
to me :D

Niko