Problems with new session support

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 27 21:12:39 UTC 2010

Am Mittwoch 27 Januar 2010 19:19:54 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> On 27.01.10 18:36:48, Milian Wolff wrote:

> > > I think it would be ugly to have "Session 1 - Projects", "Session 2 -
> > > Projects" in the menu, as the "Session X" says nothing at all, it would
> > >  just clutter the menu.
> > >
> > > If anyone has a "default" session he should delete that, it is just an
> > > artifact of the old session support. The real default session is always
> > > the one that was used last.
> > >
> > > If you want your sessions to have names, you can simply use "Rename
> > >  Session" to give it a name, and from then on you can also use the
> > >  command-line "-s" switch to pick a specific session by name.
> >
> > And for that I would need to start every single one of my sessions, just
> > to give them a name. This totally blows imo... I'd like to have the old
> > dialog back...
>
> FACK. I've only setup 3 sessions so far and the first thing I did was
> giving them useful names. Either we enforce giving a name, by asking for
> it when switching the session or we generate one automatically.

Well, on my work machine I have 3 sessions that don't have a name, and it is
totally fine like that. What would I need a session name for, if the contained
projects completely identify the session? We can leave the user alone with
such unneeded overhead. "kdevplatform, kdevelop" identifies my kdevelop
session perfectly.

We could also allow the user to pick a session using "kdevelop -s ProjectName"
by contained projects if we want that option to always work.

What would an auto-generated session name, that would be completely unrelated
to its contents, be useful for?