html / xml language support

Ruan Strydom ruan at jcell.co.za
Sat Jan 23 07:53:12 UTC 2010

Thanks allot... more questions bellow and way bellow.....

On Friday 22 January 2010 09:24:21 Niko Sams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Great! Thanks for working on this - we really need it for Quanta.
> (before that we can't
> call Quanta Web Development IDE)

Well, I do not think that I am the best person for the job, I simply chose to
do it because it is easier than parsing java-script or python etc, and it is
more exciting than implementing  business logic in java. Also I get to use the
best OS in the world, for free (Linux of-coarse), so I have to try and pay for
its usage through contributing in some way.

> > 1) Would DTD and XSD have to parse to the same structure (q2 below) ?
>
> Makes sense to me. That way code completion would be the same for both.

> > 2) Would elements in (DTD and XSD) map to a declaration and its contents
> > to a context, the attributes and their namespace's to properties in the
> > declaration?
>
> Do you need that structure only internally for validating and code
> completion? If so
> I don't see a point in using DUChain, it just would complicate things I
>  think. But you won't have neat features like saving-to-disk and need you
> reparse them everytime.
>
> > 3) Do you parse the 'using file' (HTML or XML) since you do not declare
> > anything? ie: only parse it to see where the user is for completion but
> > not into the chain.
>
> That depends on what features you want to implement. For code completion
>  you don't need duchain. For using the existing Outline you need
> declarations in duchain.
> However I don't know how this could work with a tree structure. Maybe
> we could adapt
> the DUChain to support tree structures?
> Imho the first (and most useful) feature should be code completion.

I will try to do DTD first since HTML use it. XSD's have inheritance and a
more complex structure so I would have to keep it in mind while doing it.
Perhaps I can pass a couple of diagrams past you guy's? Which leads to the
question about the DUChain: are you certain that I should not use it, as
schema's follow a OO structure, there is inheritance/'enums' etc? It may go a
couple of levels deep, but I do not think that it would be majorly excessive
since humans type it? Also there is a lot of work that went in to
serialization, and making my own will just open a whole new can of worms. I
suppose I could use aspects of it rather than using all of it?

> > 4) Should I use the KDevelop-PG QT lexer?
>
> kdev-pg-qt is a parser generator, not a lexer. The language plugins using
> kdev-pg-qt have either a hand-written lexer or a flex lexer.

;) ok that settles it then I'm not using  kdev-pg-qt  ;) (I don't even know
what a 'parser generator' is supposed to do, more reading to do ...)

> > 5) Should I combine the two, HTML and XML?
>
> If it makes things easier for you and saves you from code duplication - why
>  not. Or you could create a library that is used by both.

Ok.

> > 6) ...... lots more .....
> >
> > ps: Nobody is working on an HTML formatter? Since I am trying to modify
> > the one I did for XML?
>
> There is a html parser in quantacore afaik rewritten from scratch for
> quanta4. But
> it's not used.

I will have a look at it, and try it on XML.