To freeze or not to freeze?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Jan 16 22:35:05 UTC 2010

On 16.01.10 22:48:01, Milian Wolff wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat, 16.01.2010:
> > >
> > > A total feature freeze in 2 weeks is ok, but only if UI tweaks, like
> > > making stuff more consistent or renaming it, are not put into the
> > > "feature" category.
> >
> > Either we have a feature freeze, which means no new features whatsoever
> > only bugfixes or we don't do it yet. We can certainly delay the
> > string-freeze until after the sprint.
>
> What about we continue as we are doing these days? We all polish and fix what
> we can and no one gets the idea to push some fancy new stuff in. I personally
> think that in the past weeks not a single new feature was implemented. All
> these things were just polishing of existing features. A tooltip here or a
> context menu there is - to me - not really something we should forbid during
> the sprint.

Session support was "almost" re-implemented. We got an annoying
kdev_starter utility. I remember at least one feature for the project
managers being done in that time. Complete reordering of menus (yes
thats a feature too). Rewrite of source formatter, not exactly a feature
but also too big to be considered just a bugfix for a crash.

So the feature freeze mostly means: No big changes anymore, nothing that
can easily break whole components of kdevelop. Really concentrate on
getting those 1xx bugs filed against the kdev4 version already down.

> > > Apart from that, there is 2 important mini-features I think that are
> > > still missing:
> > > - Path-specific source-formatter settings (you wanted to work on it this
> > > weekend, so might not be a problem)
> >
> > I might actually not get around to that, kinda sick over here
> > unfortunately :(
>
> Get well soon!

Just a bit of a cold, don't worry :) But too tired to hack on sth. for
more than 30 minutes...

You will step on the night soil of many countries.