VcsEventWidget + Slow Mercurial Log

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Jan 15 14:57:54 UTC 2010

On 15.01.10 15:33:53, Fabian Wiesel wrote:
> On 15/01/10 12:36, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>>
>> Right, I'm not going to let that happen as long as I maintain the vcs
>> support :) I _hate_ that misfeature, Eclipse does that (but it fetches even
>> less than 100 IIRC).
>>
>> Letting the user specify a range is fine, we just lack the dialog for that
>> (my plan was anyway to always ask him).
>>

> I think, restricting the number of revisions in advance is a crutch,
> but to always ask the user is a tripping stone.
> I would imagine, when using the history, the most common use case
> is looking back at a fairly small number of change-sets. At least
> I use it, to get an overview of the last changes people have done
> to a file. Having now to enter a fairly arbitrary number each time in
> advance
> to looking at the history would be a nuisance to me.

Well, thats what one usually does with centralized vcs like cvs and svn
anyways, because you don't _want_ to transfer the whole history. With svn I
usually do a svn log --limit 10 | less to look at the recent commits or I
do a svn log -r{start}:{end} if I already know a range in which I need to
look.

With git I usually just do either git log or git log {start}, but thats
really because fetching the log is instant for git.

And of course that dialog has sane defaults so you'd often just discard it,
we might even just have two menu entries instead for Log and Log... where
the latter shows the dialog and the first shows the first 50 revisions or
so.

You may be infinitely smaller than some things, but you're infinitely
larger than others.